Thursday, September 19, 2013

Fly Fishing With Mother Nature

Since Mother Nature intervened with the all the rain and the "so called 1000 year flood", fly fishing any water in Northern Colorado has been put on a serious hold.  It may be quite some time before she releases her hold and all the damages can be assessed to life, home, family, animals, etc.  

That being said, I have already began to wonder what Mother Nature's fly fishing plan has in store for me and my local ponds that I love to fish so much.  Include in The Big Thompson River locally, let alone that which flows through the washed out canyon, and, it does look pretty bleak for those of us who love to fly fish and fish local waters in Northern Colorado.

The picture shown above is an aerial view shot that I came across that shows what used to be an area for several ponds that I like to fish for Bluegill, Bass, Carp, etc.  Note that I said used to be!  The area is now one flooded looking piece of water that more resembles one pretty good sized body of water instead of some home water for the PondStalker.

The Big Thompson River I love to fish in the canyon or down lower near my home looks like this before the flooding. 
The Big Thompson River looked like this a day or so ago.  Where to begin to assess the problems?

Set me to pondering what happens when Mother Nature takes over, and if you will, moves the fish where she wants them to be.  What happens to the fish in the ponds?  Will they be there when the waters recede and the damages are assessed?  Or, will the ponds have different fish in them?  For example, a top notch pond for bigger bass, will those bass now be gone or spread out to who knows where? What about structures and other holding areas for the pond fish?  Are they all gone, or, do they remain? 

Another concern I have is the warm water ponds are in close proximity to the Big Thompson River in the lower stretches.  Will we see Walleye, Catfish, Bass, and other Panfish, now reside in the Big Thompson river as a result of being washed there via the floods?  Having never been through a major catastrophe like this before, I am pretty much clueless as too what we may find when the waters recede and calmer days are brought to us.  I am sure the rest of 2013 near my home is not going to offer much, if any, fly fishing opportunities.  What will 2014 bring?  Any of my readers want to ponder this situation and provide comments?  Sure hope you do.  I have lots of time to read blog comments.


11 comments:

  1. I don't know Mel. Unless the fish were glued to the bottom, most of them are probably in Texas. If all else fails, you can come to California and fish. We still have some here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, like you, I don't have a clue right now. Those that survived the Colorado floods should provide some good fishing over in Nebraska, too!

      Thanks for the invite to California. If I come knockin' be sure and answer the door!

      Delete
  2. I heard that someone in Boulder they were picking fish up on the streets. I don't know what, but I suspect trout from where Boulder Creek overflowed. So if you get a hankerin' for trout, you can always go to the library on Arapahoe. Just go to the T section in the library. Someone told me that they will rearrange themselves along the rivers but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you still have a good sense of humor after taking on all this water! Actually observed some folks trying to put a trout back into some water that it might survive in so that it would not be a hit and run victim. Will be happy when all the rearranging is done and clean up is finished.

      Delete
  3. I would say that's a good fall flush but can't believe what I'm seeing in CO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riverwalker, sure has been a mighty "Flush" that is for sure! It is astounding to live here and take some time to just look around. It is surreal! Hope to share some pond fishing with you once everything is back in order, but, that may take quite awhile.

      Delete
  4. Mel
    I hope you guys have seen the worst of this disaster. We see the events of the floods everyday here on the news; it is heartbreaking to see so many individuals who have pretty much lost everything. What is even worst is most of these folks don't have flood insurance, which is going to cause some to lose their homes or take years to fully recover. When one thinks of flooding it is seldom in an area where you guys live; it just goes to show how freaky our weather conditions are this day and age.
    As for the fish population, one can only assume they will replenish and be there for you to land next year. I do know that here at home when big rains come and the creeks and rivers flood, it always seems to make the fishing better the next year; so I hope this is the case for you guys there. Take care and thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bill, for taking the time to leave a very thoughtful comment on the mess we call "The Flood".

      I sure hope your experience with flood water and next years fishing hold true out here. We shall see and that is what will keep us all looking forward to when we get an opportunity to wet a line again here in the area. In the meantime, hope you catch a fish or two for me!

      Delete
  5. I loved this post because it shows you're a thinker. You do more than observe, you ponder and hypothesize. I'm the same way. My hopes are that you stay safe through these floods and that the flood waters bring nothing but big fish into your favorite ponds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, this was an incredible few weeks for all of you in Colorado. That is for sure. I will be cancelling my trip out there this fall, but let's hope everything bounces back by next summer and that I will be coming out your way again... Mother Nature has a way of healing in time. For the people affected, maybe much longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily, it has been an experience that I don't wish on anyone, and, we were some of the lucky ones. Mother Nature's quite a lady. Let's all pray that we will rebound soon enough and that life on the water will be good times again.

      Delete

Your visit and comments are always welcome here.