Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Do I Need A Lanyard?

So I have been considering the use of a Fly Fishing Lanyard as another way of helping me be organized and functionally lighten the load as I stalk the ponds of Northern Colorado.  With that comes the loving statement from my wife, "Don't you already have one of those things?".

Well, yes I did, but this was back when Fly Fishing Lanyards came on the market.  Like anything else in fly fishing, those manufacturers of Fly Fishing Lanyards have gone through trial and error, some have came and went, and others are new to the market.  What I can say is this.  Some of the originals, back in the day, left something to be desired.  Therefore, I parted with the original model I had owned, long ago.   However, nowadays, when I take a look around the 'net and fly shops, these Fly Fishing Lanyards are everywhere.  They catch your eye!  Seem to be much better thought out in design also.  There seem to be many manufacturers also.  Some folks have even made their own.  With that I assume, they must be popular and useful.  But, before I invest in one, thought I would seek out my BlogBuddies and see what you guys think.  

Here are a few examples of what I looked at, of the many, that are on the 'net.  Take a look at these pictures and websites if you are so inclined. 

Exquisitely designed by a small company
doing it right.
Also, well done. Has lots of good swivels to put "Goodies" on.
Now this one caught my eye, especially, because it is what
they refer to as a "Half Brother" to a standard fishing lanyard 
in that it can be clipped to your belt, a fanny pack, or what have you, 
and always be handy when you need it.  

Well, I could go on and on with various ones I have looked at, but these (3) companies seem to represent  a good variety in cost, style, and material used to make the Fly Fishing Lanyard.

Keeping in mind that I am the Pond Stalker and fish ponds, usually on foot, but sometimes, from a float tube.  I only carry a selection of flies that I know work or want to try in a few homemade fly boxes from Altoid cans in my pocket.  What say you my BlogBuddies?  BTW, my wife is just smiling!





16 comments:

  1. Mel, I'm a big fan of using lanyards. I've gone through many different methods of carrying gear and have been using the lanyard for the last several years. I think I'll be sticking to this method for a while yet. All of my tools and tippet (well, most at least) are easy to hand. Toss in a box of flies, and I'm good to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, I figured as much as you are on the go, and checking out The Trout Zone in some of the higher country, that a lanyard would be practical for you. I am liking the simplicity of minimalizing my gear and fly boxes. Less to wear and worry about. I am thinking a Lanyard would be a good choice.

      Delete
  2. As with any fishing gear purchase....just buy it. You'll find you need it later (even if you really don't). Of the 3, I really like the concept of the last one. Happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't fallen in love with the one I bought a couple years ago... I just don't like the foam rubbing on my neck. I carry nippers, tippet, forceps, and small box of flies in front of my Simms wader pouch, The rest of the toys are in my Fishpond fanny pack. That little half-bro would be a nice thing to pick up... = ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RD, I am sensitive to having too much hanging around my neck, too. So that is a good point to make. The little "Half-Bro" might be just the ticket to get around the neck fatigue, yet, have everything super handy. I don't intend to carry a whole lot, but, do have a Cabela's Fanny Pack if I do need to use it for the long haul!

      Delete
  4. I've had a couple and I don't care for them. I don't like things hanging on my neck.I have become somewhat of a minimalist but not to the point that I can carry what I want with me on a lanyard. I love my Vedavoo Sling Pack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howard, thanks for your feedback. I value your opinion and agree with something hanging around my neck. I, actually believe, that this could be a safety issue too, but, some of them are breakaway lanyards these days. I am pretty much of a minimalist these days, more out of necessity, than anything else. Vedavoo is an outstanding product and when my "Gusher' comes in, I will consider that!

      Delete
  5. Mel
    I started out fly fishing with a vest which has become too heavy for me at this stage in my life. So now I am using a small chest pack, which is lighter than the vest; but it rides against my neck some. So like you I am now looking at the Lanyard. I am glad you did the research because if I had my choice of the three you have featured, I would go with the Nature Boy belt clip. The reason I like this one is lightness of course and all the essentials tools you would need at your finger tips. You could actually attach your forceps and line nippers on the same clip, which would enable you to clip a small fly box on the other clip. Your last clip would house your tippet spool. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the research

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently won a nice lanyard from Western Visions. I'd never used a lanyard before this one, and I think the best part is the minimalist aspect of it. I leave it "fully loaded" hanging with the rest of my gear, and
    if I want to head down to my local river for a half hour, I just grab it and go. I don't particularly like hanging a net from the back of it though, it's a little uncomfortable. It sure is pretty though, almost too pretty. ;)

    This reminds me, I've got a review of it ready to post, I just haven't gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi from RSA (South Africa to the uninitiates)
      I too acquired a lanyard several years ago and have seldom used it as it did not have a net hook and I tired of the drag on the neck. Actually it would provide nice balance and be easier on the back. The other problem was that having the net at my side while walking the streams the net hanging at my side hooked up on the thorny acacias and dying undergrowth with regularity.

      Delete
  7. The first one looks like one of those necklaces baseball players wear rather than a lanyard. I started using a "so called" lanyard years back when we needed to show our license. Since, I've added a pair of clippers, a whistle, and I clip my forceps on it. Most of the time when I'm fly fishing I use a vest. I've had one for years that was one size too small and became a pain in the butt, but a couple years ago I bought one the right size and it works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, you are right about the appearance of the Western Visions Lanyard. They are stunning and pretty dressy, and, very well made! I noticed on one of your pictures a while back on your blog that you had your license on a lanyard. Not a bad concept either. Easy for Fish & Game officers to know if you are a licensed angler. There is something about those fly fishing vests that just won't go away. They are/were the standard "uniform" of fly fishers for a long time. I remember the one I had being as dirty and ugly as could be, but, I still wore it for the sentimentality of it all.

      Delete
  8. I bought my first lanyard this year and love it. I hope to make one of my own. I have a Mountain River lanyard and it is comfortable. Even with a small water proof box for streamers, my keys, etc., it is still worn without discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am going to do the same but have to wrangle the site a bit. Some odd things are going on when viewing it on a mobile device.

      Delete
    2. No problem, Josh. Hoping to get some warm water fly fishing folks oriented to my blog. I enjoy yours and the patterns you tie. Hope you are able to take the time and do some wrangling with your blog so all those on the go with mobile devices can see your work!

      Delete
  9. I like lanyards when I am walking around a pond, or on a small stream. I, too, usually just take a couple of Altoids tins with a day's worth of flies. On larger rivers, however, I'll take a chest pack with more fly boxes. Maybe even a vest with lots of pockets.

    ReplyDelete

Your visit and comments are always welcome here.