Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Bloggin' Time Or Something From Ground Control...........

Sometimes it seems that even during the winter months a fly fishing fanatic can be busy enough that sometimes it is hard to keep caught up.  For instance, check out this Blogger.

Anyhow, a few things have been going on to keep me more than busy it seems.  Time to catch up my blog readers with a few updates.

Let's begin with the announcement that I have started a new Facebook Group over on, of course, Facebook.   It is called Budget Minded Fly Fishing Gear.  
Being a Senior Citizen on a restricted budget really causes me to have to shop very closely and thoroughly when determining rather I can afford to add a piece of gear to my current fly fishing world.  There are many fly fishers out there just like me.  So, I decided to put up a page for Group input and feedback on those fly fishing related items that will help us all when looking for just the right piece of gear at the right price,  Anyway, we are off to a good start on the Group with about (40) participants already.  If you are interested please feel free to take a look at the link to the page and join in on the fun and sharing of real and practical information that any budget minded angler could use.  Your participation is appreciated.

Like most other fly fishers, winter is also a time for staying pretty close to the fly tying vise and I am no different than anyone else.  Here is picture I took just this morning of a hodgepodge of flies I have cranked out over the last 2 or 3 days.  This is just a sampling of the flies I have been adding to my boxes for Spring season.

To finish up with this update, Colorado has had some unusually warm days for a short stretch of time.  With that the ice has melted off some of the ponds.  However, I suspect we will have more cold and ice and snow before too long.  Spring is coming and I am going to be ready.  I have not yet received my custom Blue Halo Fiberglass rod from Average Joe's Fishn Poles.  However, Phillip, has it near ready and sent a photo yesterday.  I wanted to share it with you.

I am stoked to get this in my hands so I can begin my end of the job as a rod tester..............

14 comments:

  1. Great that you started that FB group, just joined. Also just curious what vice you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bryan, just confirmed your membership in the Group. I think that together we can all make a difference in helping each other with fly fishing gear at reasonable prices.

      I tie on a Peak Rotary Vise. They are top notch and built here in Loveland, Colorado, where I live. The best I ever tied on. Here is the link to their site
      www.peakfishing.com.

      Delete
  2. Mel
    What an impressive fly rod even got your name on it, really nice. I can see some nice bluegills taking those new patterns you have tied. Are you still having trouble linking my blog on your front page? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, I no doubt, received a blessing to be able to receive this rod and to use it and test the waters I fish. Average Joe's custom work is simply wonderful. I sure hope to find some good Bluegill fishing this year. That rod and the flies I am tying should be too much for a decent Bluegill too resist!

      To answer your question on your link on my blog, I think so. It doesn't show as a current post until it is at least 4 days old. I am thinking I might delete your link and then re-add it again to see if it makes any difference. Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. That group sounds like something I need to look into. I've been using the metal from trash bag ties for weight...pia to get the wrapping off...but I consider it recycling and it's free!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Drew. Thanks for joining the Group. I just made you an active member in the Group. That is a good tip on the wire. That is the kind of thing that would work for a post over on the Group page to let others know. Good job!

      Delete
  4. Nice ties Mel. I like the tinsely ones at the top left. But I'm not a fish, so who cares what I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael, for the comment on my fly patterns. I don't think that I tie as well as I did when I was much younger, but, they still catch plenty of fish so that makes me a happy tyer. Plus, catching the fisherman is the first step in putting together a good fly. Send me your address and I will throw a couple in the mail too you to try on those Florida fish.

      Delete
  5. Your group on Facebook is really a stoke of genius. It's just what my banker ordered. The Blue Halo sure looks nice buddy. I'm sure you'll love it from all reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you, Howard, for such a nice comment! Genius or not, I know that I can't play the game the big league way anymore. So have to make adjustments. I think I know your banker........

      There is not a lot more that I can say about how fortunate I was to become rod tester for Average Joe's and the fun that I look forward too once this rod arrives. I hope to do the rod and the company justice with my fishing skills.

      Delete
  6. Good luck with the new offering.
    Mel I must say that Eagle Claw rod and Pflueger reel is quite nice.
    Could you send some of that thawing east?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Alan. Hey, you know I would if I could make it possible! While you are having the tough winter, Colorado is having plenty of snow in the high country. Not much here in town. I hope runoff is good without any flooding etc. Thanks for the compliment on the Eagle Claw Rod and Pflueger Reel. It is where it all began for me......................................

      Delete
  7. Mel! Cant wait to hear the adventures with that Blue Halo! I am working on that Facebook thing so I will check ya out once i figure out what I am doing! Sure isnt a fly rod!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Al! It will be my pleasure to let all my friends and readers know more as I familiarize myself with the Blue Halo. Stay tuned................... I expect it to arrive soon!

      As far as the Facebook thing, if I can be of any assistance just give me a shout. Would enjoy your friendship there and on the Group also.

      Delete

Your visit and comments are always welcome here.