Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Pond Stalker 2015 and Beyond



From the ponds in and around Loveland, Colorado.

I am a retired Fly Fisher & Fly Tyer who has spent most of his fly fishing past chasing Trout in Stillwaters across the Western United States with brief excursions on small streams and warmwater ponds.

I won't make any attempt to mislead anyone here,  I have loved fishing lakes and ponds for years.  My passion has always led me to these waters and the fun they offer to the flyfisher and fly tyer.  Although, most trips out were for chasing the big trout that lakes produce, my secret passion has been the fun of fly fishing for Bluegill, Crappie, Sunfish, and other assorted warm water fish.  I am currently taking an interest in getting to know more about fly fishing for Bass.  Perhaps even some Carp in the future.  One step at a time you Ol' Geezer, I remind myself!

Living in Northern Colorado where I do offers plenty of opportunity for me to chase my dreams in warm water fly fishing and fly tying.  What I love most about it is that I can drive less than (15) minutes from my home and be on the water with a chance at a good time.  Economical, time saving, and, that word "FUN" again.  Which in turn means more fishing and tying time for me.   I am also very Grandchildren oriented so I have plenty of other activity to keep me busy so time on the water still needs to be worked around everything else.  

I, also, have to be a very budget oriented Geezer.   Being a Senior Citizen on a fixed budget requires that I spend my money wisely and my time efficiently.
I take great pleasure in keeping my fly fishing time as simple as possible.    From the gear I use to the techniques I use. It works! 

 Please take the time to look around on my blog and enjoy what is here. Your support is greatly appreciated! 




16 comments:

  1. Being in SE Ark, most of my fly fishing is warm water...I love throwing streamers, frogs, and poppers for Bass. As long as you're having "fun" you're doing it right!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Drew!
      I know that my blog gets a lot of readers from the southern U.S....
      That is just great by me. I think we all have that warm water itch and love scratching it. Lots of trout fishing in Northern Colorado for sure, but, lots of competition for space and reasonable fun. Warm water fly fishing makes me feel at home. Thanks for sharing your comments and reading.

      Delete
  2. AH the SINGING POND HOPPER!!!!!! I am a STILL WATER FLY FISHER myself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be me, Greg. You nailed it there...............
      I spent some (30) years or so float tubing and couldn't get enough. These days I spend more time fishing the shoreline and walking to good spots. That is where the fish are anyway!
      I am going fishin' and singin'. You want to join me...............................

      Delete
  3. Love the blog Mel as always, keep up the great work and we will keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Bryan. I sure appreciate you and your support of my blogging efforts over the time. Hope to get in to some better Crappie this year....................

      Delete
  4. Like we don't already know who you are???????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Mark, I needed to update my Bio page. So, I just did double duty and turned it into an updated post as well. Besides that, 5 0r 6 of you are regular readers to my meanderings here on the blog. Guess what? Just checked my stats and I just picked up a new reader. Plus, if I don't tell my readers who I am, I am afraid I will forget. So just chalk it up as a brain wave exercise!

      Delete
  5. Mel! Thanks for pupporting your fellow bloggers and always providing awesome reads! I look forward to your bass adventures. Ill let ya know when we start chasing the Horsetooth smallies on the fly! It is always a pleasure and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Al, it is and has been my pleasure to support my fellow bloggers since I started this escapade several years ago. I believe in "Pay It Forward"! Thanks for being a regular reader. Support like that is what keeps me going. Would not mind finding some Smallmouth at Horsetooth. Are their walk in areas where I could be successful?

      Delete
  6. The fog lifted a while ago, so while I'm still coherent, I wanted to stop by and say Hey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Howard, hope you are feeling better as each day goes by. When you can we will get on the pond or the creek. We might have a better chance if we double team them.

      Delete
  7. Being frugal is part of the retired anglers creed, and it's for the best.

    Mel I plan on doing a lot more warm water angling this year. I love the bluegill-sunfish, on the fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alan. You sure hit the nail on the head with your first sentence in your comment. For me, it is the only way left to share the spirit of fly fishing. I will be anxious to read of your warm water excursions. It's a love I kept for many years. Go Bluegill..............................

      Delete
  8. There's no fun equal to helping young family members land bluegill/sunfish and bass on a fly rod. I, too, am a huge fan of panfish. Ever since I got into fly fishing, it made fishing for them extremely fun, again. Good luck on your quest for bass, Mel! I'm always around for a tip or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Justin, I totally agree with all of your comment in relation to fishing with kids and other family members for warm water fish. Countless hours have been spent fishing for Bluegills with my kids and grandkids. Memories that will last forever. Rest assured, as I pursue some more fly fishing for Largemouth and Smallmouth, I will be picking your brain!

      Delete

Your visit and comments are always welcome here.